- Zero VOC’s
- Naturally polymerizing finish, cures by oxidation not evaporation
- Does not form a glossy finish no matter the number of coats, forms a flexible water proof finish
- Resists abrasion and acids, does not blister and peel (properly applied)
- Does not mold like linseed oil, long shelf life (will last for years, properly sealed), does not go rancid
- Does not darken with time like linseed oil
- Concentrated (thin one to one, doubles the coverage), combined with “Citrus Solvent” makes an all-natural finish
- FDA approved for food contact
- The surface should be dusted to remove all loose particles.
- For better penetration the oil should be thinned one to one with natural Citrus Solvent or mineral spirits.
- Any wood filling or wood staining (water or alcohol stains work best) must be done before the oil is applied.
- Using the Pure Tung Oil straight from the bottle would only be for the most thirsty surfaces like old weathered wood, 100 year old wood floors that were never finished or concrete.
- For the majority of all projects, you will thin 50% with thinners for the entire finishing process.
- The first coat of thinned material should be a liberal one.
- Apply with a natural bristle brush or sponge brush.
- Allow this application to sit for a minimum of 40 minutes so the oil can soak in. When it soaks into the wood, apply another coat immediately. Continue to apply coats, one after another, until wood is saturated and stays glossy for a minimum of 40 minutes but can be 1½ hours. If eighty percent of area stays glossy, the wood cells are saturated.
- Then, wipe down the surface with clean rag material. Continue to check for any seeping in the next few hours, and rub this off as well. Let soak in completely over night between applications. Do not allow standing oil on the surface overnight. Any standing or puddles oil should be wiped away with clean rags.
- Hang oil soaked rags up separately to dry. For woods with very dense pores like Teak wood, thin with two parts Citrus Solvent to one part oil will help it absorb better for every coat.
- Pure Tung Oil will take 7 to 10 days for a minimum cure and 15 to 30 days for a full cure.
Pure Tung Oil offered by Real Milk Paint is produced without any additives or distillates. The tung oil offered by most are typically a thinned down varnish to polymerized tung oil, and most have petroleum distillates added. Pure tung oil will not build a gloss finish or heavy finish, but will penetrate deeply into the wood to enhance character and water resistance while creating a great wood finish.
A common myth is that using tung oil on butcher blocks is unsafe because of tree nut allergies, but pure tung oil is generally regarded as food safe. Tung oil takes some time to cure, but once it is fully hardened with proper application, tung oil can create a water impenetrable surface.
As one of the first truly “green” finishes, it is all natural and contains zero VOC’s, and as such is perfect for uses such as wood bowls, counter tops, outdoor furniture, decks, wood siding, wood flooring, concrete, brick and just about any porous surface that needs an occupant and environmentally friendly product.
Pure Tung Oil comes from cold pressing of the seeds or nuts of the Tung tree, which mainly grow in the mountainous regions of China away from industrialization and pollution. Climate, soil and air quality are essential for high quality oil. Ours is 100% Pure Chinese Tung Oil, which is also known as China wood oil and is an all-natural finish manufactured by pressing the tung nut, no petroleum distillates or other additives – just Pure Tung Oil.