PURE TUNG OIL ADVANTAGES
- Zero VOC’s
- Naturally polymerizing finish, cures by oxidation not evaporation
- Does not form a glossy finish no matter the number of coats, forms a flexible water proof finish
- Resists abrasion and acids, does not blister and peel (properly applied)
- Does not mold like linseed oil, long shelf life (will last for years, properly sealed), does not go rancid
- Does not darken with time like linseed oil
- Concentrated (thin one to one, doubles the coverage), combined with “Citrus Solvent” makes an all-natural finish
- FDA approved for food contact
Pure Tung Oil offered by Real Milk Paint is produced without any additives or distillates. The tung oil offered by most are typically a thinned down varnish to polymerized tung oil, and most have petroleum distillates added. Pure tung oil will not build a gloss finish or heavy finish, but will penetrate deeply into the wood to enhance character and water resistance while creating a great wood finish.
A common myth is that using tung oil on butcher blocks is unsafe because of tree nut allergies, but pure tung oil is generally regarded as food safe. Tung oil takes some time to cure, but once it is fully hardened with proper application, tung oil can create a water impenetrable surface.
As one of the first truly “green” finishes, it is all natural and contains zero VOC’s, and as such is perfect for uses such as wood bowls, counter tops, outdoor furniture, decks, wood siding, wood flooring, concrete, brick and just about any porous surface that needs an occupant and environmentally friendly product.
Pure Tung Oil comes from cold pressing of the seeds or nuts of the Tung tree, which mainly grow in the mountainous regions of China away from industrialization and pollution. Climate, soil and air quality are essential for high quality oil. Ours is 100% Pure Chinese Tung Oil, which is also known as China wood oil and is an all-natural finish manufactured by pressing the tung nut, no petroleum distillates or other additives – just Pure Tung Oil.
- is a environmentally safe and non toxic solution to other solvents when applied over tung oil.
- (half tongue oil and half citrus solvent) is also available as an elegant one step solution.