Information on RADON GAS
RadonSeal Deep-Penetrating Concrete Sealer has been the leading concrete sealer for commercial and residential projects since the late 1990’s. It is a reactive, internal sealer, for poured concrete, heavyweight concrete blocks, mortar, and other cementitious materials. Unlike the majority of concrete sealers sold in stores, RadonSeal is not a surface sealant. It seals the matrix of concrete without coating the surface and can be safely used on heavy foot-and-vehicular traffic areas.
RadonSeal works by being absorbed by porous concrete, penetrating deep below the surface (up to 4″), chemically reacting with free lime and alkali, expanding inside the pores and capillaries, and curing as a hardened silicate mineral. It is like injecting more cement into the concrete!
Once cured, the sealer is permanent and will protect basement, slab-on-grade, and subterranean concrete against capillary water seepage, efflorescence, water vapor, and even radon gas. RadonSeal also strengthens, densifies, and hardens outdoor concrete, protecting surfaces against freeze-thaw, cracking, crazing, spalls, and minor defects.
RadonSeal Standard and RadonSeal Plus
STANDARD – Recommended for indoor poured concrete such as basement floors and walls, foundation slabs, and garage floors less than 20 years old. Also use on outdoor concrete (driveways, sidewalks, walls, rooftops, decks) less than 2 years old.
PLUS – Recommended for sealing older and more porous concrete, such as concrete blocks, cinder blocks, poured indoor concrete over 20 years old or poured outdoor concrete more than 2 years old. It carries more active minerals for larger pores in concrete.
RadonSeal does not change the appearance or friction of the concrete (slip-resistant). Unlike common sealers (topical clear sealers) and waterproofing paints, RadonSeal can never peel, delaminate, or wear away. It cannot be pushed out from inside the pores by negative-side pressure. The seal becomes integral to the concrete itself and no reapplication is ever needed! Applying RadonSeal to indoor and outdoor concrete surfaces provides several important benefits:
- Concrete Waterproofing – Mitigates capillary water seepage, protects outdoor concrete against freeze-thaw and road salts.
- Efflorescence – Reacts with alkalis and can stop or reduce unsightly “white powder” and salt deposits.
- Eco-Friendly – No solvents, zero VOCs, no fumes or noxious odors.
- User-Friendly – Safe to use indoors. Easily applied by a common hand-pump “garden” sprayer.
- Vapor Transmission – Reduces humidity by restricting water vapor inflow.
- Radon Mitigation – Restricts the infiltration of soil gasses through concrete capillaries and pores.
- Musty Odors – Helps to alleviate musty basement odors by reducing humidity.
- Mold Remediation – Aids in the prevention of mold and mildew growth.
- Reduces Cracking – Bonds and strengthens concrete, prevents the rusting and expansion of rebar.
- Concrete Hardener – Hardens the surface “flint-hard”, greatly reduces dusting and crazing.
- Neutralizes Alkalis – Ideal for high pH fish and koi ponds, dog kennels, and stables.
- Deep-Cleans – Purges contaminants, minor oil spills, old efflorescence, and animal urine from inside concrete slabs.
- Neutralizes Alkali – Use in fish ponds, kennel floors, and stables because it neutralizes alkalis and surfaces caustic to animals.