Fire Cider FAQ- Direct from the makers at Shire City
- First of all, what’s in Fire Cider? Shire City only uses ingredients that you would recognize in a grocery store. From most to least: raw apple cider vinegar, wildflower honey, oranges, lemons, onions, ginger, horseradish, habanero pepper, garlic and turmeric. And nothing else!
- How can I use Fire Cider as a dietary supplement? The components of Fire Cider have been traditionally used in a wide range of healthful applications. Perhaps you can ask your Grandma, a friendly old farmer or your health care professional what they think about Fire Cider! Here are just a few ways to put Fire Cider to work for you:
- Support your immune system: We all have a daily shot, and then have a few more throughout the day when we feel the need for more help staying healthy. Don’t get too crazy though, take a breather and space out your Fire Cider shots with some thyme or holy basil tea!
- Support your digestive system: A shot of Fire Cider after a big meal is a nice boost for your digestive system. It’s like Fernet Branca, but without the booze, and with more vinegary spice. Ok, it’s not much like Fernet.
- Had too much to drink? The eye opening effect of a big slug of Fire Cider is a great way to shake off last night’s indulgence! Now go have a big greasy meal, followed by more Fire Cider and a much deserved nap.
- Replace coffee: Doug L. in Connecticut says it best: “I tried this on a whim at the Big E because it sounded interesting. I had been trying to cut down on my caffeine intake for a while with little success, but once I started substituting my afternoon coffee with a shot of Fire Cider, I found the solution. Lots of energy with no caffeine!”
- Does Fire Cider contain alcohol? No, it does not. It does however, mix well with alcohol if that’s your style, so check out their recipe book for our signature Fire Cider cocktails!
- Does Fire Cider contain GMO ingredients? Absolutely not! Fire Cider is made with 100% Certified Organic vInegar, fruits and vegetables. The only non-Organic ingredient is the honey, because domestic Certified Organic honey is next to impossible to source. Shire City uses wonderful raw honey from the hard working people (and bees!) of Merrimack Valley Apiaries. Their organic certifier is Bay State Organics.
- This bottle tastes different than the last one, did they change your recipe? No, they did not change our recipe! Every batch Shire City makes tastes a little bit different for a few reasons. The biggest cause of flavor differences is seasonal variation in the fresh fruits and roots we use. The citrus can be juicer or sweeter, the ginger and horseradish spicier or mellower, the honey mild or strongly flavored, etc… Another cause of changing flavor is how long the Fire Cider has been in the bottle. When it’s freshly bottled it tends to taste more citrus/ginger dominant, when it has mellowed for a few months it tends to be more onion/garlic/spice dominant. In short, every bottle is a unique snowflake of burning vinegar-y flavor.
- Is Fire Cider gluten free? Yes, all of the ingredients in Fire Cider are whole, raw, gluten free foods. However, if you are extremely sensitive, be aware that we make Fire Cider in a mixed use facility.
- How much should I take? For a daily dose it is recommended about ½ to 1 Tablespoon. We just take a small sip from the bottle. If you feel under the weather you can take that same dose every 3 hours. You can take Fire Cider any time of day; just keep in mind that it does perk you up!
What is the shelf life of Fire Cider? According to the FDA, the ‘best by date’ is 18 months from bottling.